Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Activities and Songs

Here are some fun St. Patty's Day activities and songs I found while web surfing! I'm adding these to my collection :)
  1. Fill a black pot (use a Halloween witch's cauldron) with either gold foil covered chocolates that look like coins, or gold foil wrapped Hershey's HUGS. To make the pot look really full, stuff the bottom of the pot with crumpled newspaper and cover that with a piece of black construction paper. Show the pot of gold to the children in the beginning of their session, then, when the class is out of the room, ask a co-worker to hide all the "gold" and turn the pot upside down in the center of the room. Have a note written on the chalkboard (in green chalk of course!) that reads: "Have some fun and find my gold". Explain to the class that leprechauns are full of fun and mischief and that they want to play a game! Find the hidden "gold" pieces and count them. You can use both types of candy for this activity and then do a sorting activity. Let each child take home one or two pieces of "gold".
  2. Lucky Charms Chart : Take a box of Lucky Charms, and sort the marshmallows in rows. Ex. all rainbows in one row and stars in one row.  Count how many of each you found and eat the cereal.
  3. We go searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I run a very long length of ribbon throughout our playground. It weaves around trees, under large toys, around corners, etc. Actually, it is several long pieces of ribbon tied end to end...first red, then orange, yellow, green, blue, violet. The kids follow the rainbow path to find treasure -- a leprechaun's pot of gold coins, small toys, stickers, gold rocks, or whatever you want to hide! This activity works especially well if you have enough teachers to take the children out to the path in small groups.
  4. "Leprechaun, Leprechaun Where's your shamrock?"
    (This game is a take off on "Doggy, Doggy, Where's Your Bone".)The "leprechaun' sits with his eyes closed and a paper shamrock behind him. A child is chosen to tiptoe up and take the shamrock and return to his seat. Then all the children hide their hands in their pockets or behind their backs and recite "Leprechaun, Leprechaun, where's your shamrock? Someone has it in their pocket!" The leprechaun gets 3 guesses as to who has his shamrock. The person with the shamrock is the next leprechaun.
  5. Spray paint small rocks gold and hide them on the playground on St Patrick's Day. Some are almost in plain sight but some are hidden so well, they continue to find them for weeks. They can take them home in snack size ziplock bags.
Here are some St. Patty's Day themed songs to use with or without some of the activities listed above:

Leprechaun Song (to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot")
"I'm a little Leprechaun
  Dressed in green,
  The tiniest man
  you ever did see.
  If you ever catch me, so it's told
  I will give you my pot of gold!"

You'll Never Catch Me or My Gold (to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb")
"I'm a little leprechaun, leprechaun, leprechaun
I'm a little leprechaun
Who likes to hide my gold.
I dress in green from head to toe
head to toe
head to toe
I dress in green from head to toe
I wear green all day long!
You'll never catch me or my gold
not my gold
not my gold
You'll never catch me or my gold
I hide it all to well!"


The Leprechaun (Fingerplay)

A leprechaun is small and green,
(Use hand to indicate a small person.)
He hides where he cannot be seen.
(Cover eyes with hands.)
But if you catch one on this day,
(Shake finger.)
He must give all his gold away.
(Pretend to put gold in pocket.)


Happy St. Patrick's Day! Another St. Patty's Day has come and I still don't know ... do green eyes count for "wearing something green"? I think I'll wear some green to be safe ;)

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.