Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Adolescents

Today's blog is inspired both by my professional and personal aspects on the subject. 

This past Saturday, we had our spring state MTASC meeting here in Charleston, and after the meeting a CMTE course was offered, entitled,  I Write the Songs = Songwriting in/as Music Therapy.  I write a good bit of songs, both professionally and personally, and don't always see eye to eye with some of the concepts taught in some other similar workshops I have attended.  However, I have to say that this CMTE course was great.  Thank you, thank you, Tracy Richardson, for your insights! 

Anyhow, at one point, Tracy divided us into groups for group songwriting for a (hypothetical) group of 6 adolescent boys, ages 12-14 years old within a psychiatric setting.  We were only to write 1 verse and the chorus (we didn't have time to write a whole song).  One thing that seems to be consistent with any adolescent (whether "typical" or in a facility/with disorder) seems to be a need for understanding and a need for self expression.  How many times have you heard a teenager say, "No one understands me!"  (???) So our group goal for this song was: To facilitate opportunity for self expression.  Here is the song portion we wrote:

"No one understands,
 No one understands
 I feel so alone,
 I need a voice of my own.

 I have so many "friends"
 are they really friends?
 Many people surround me,
 do they really see ME?"

In a session, this could really go a long way to giving someone a way to voice this ... well, to give him/her a voice.  It would be great way lead in to an activity to allow opportunity to highlight individuality (increase self image/esteem).  First (1) express this feeling of not being understood, and then (2) allowing an opporunity to be understood by expressing self, strengths/opinions, thoughts/ideas.

So, that's the professional aspect.

The personal aspect I have on this is that I have a teenager which results in teenage friends and neighbors who congregate in my house.  My sweet niece (who is my child's bf) made an amazingly insightful post on Facebook yesterday that really caught my attention.  It's related to what is mentioned above, I think.  She is a naturally confident girl who likes herself, and is not afraid to be herself.  I greatly admire that about her, especially considering her age.  She gave voice to what, most likely, every one her age feels.

This was her FB posting:
"Why is it so hard to be yourself in today's society? You dress how people want, talk like people want, and be what people what you to be. Why can't I just be me?"

Wow. 

Anyone who knows me won't be at all surprised at the way that I answered this ... with a Dr. Suess quote, of course! :)

 no matter how people try, no1 can ever be good at being anyone else but themselves. a famous philosopher once said (ok, so it was Dr. Seuss) :
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ... He also said,
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."

... good stuff. Anybody who you truely admire is someone who is being themselves.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.