Friday, November 6, 2009

Your Weekend Recipe


Hello and Happy Friday! What was the recipe for your week? Did it turn out as you planned?

How about this ... what is the recipe for your weekend? Sometimes my weekend consists of way too many ingredients (even though they may be good, sometimes it's overkill).  Sometimes my weekend is Triple Chocolate Pistachio Almond Walnut Coconut Cherry Strawberry Apple Brownie when it would have just been marvelous to "just" have a Chocolate Pistachio Cherry Brownie.  My point? Even with the best of intentions and even with all the best ingrediants, sometimes we pack too much in and the result is that it's just ... well ... too much.  I would like my weekend recipe to certainly include some bit of much needed rest and relaxation, but if I'm not careful, I will tend to cram pack my weekend with "to do's", making no room for rest.  This always results in me going into a new work week feeling worn out.  Not good!

Speaking of recipes and yummy desserts, I wanted to mention a few gluten free related items that I have had and loved.  For all of my gluten intolerant clients and web friends, here are some things I have discovered.

1)  Whole Foods brand (365 brand) of Baking Mix (GF flour mix) is AMAZING! It has made every thing I have attempted taste accurate.  After attempting my mom's cobbler recipe a few different times with various brands and combos of GF flour mix, I used the 365 brand and it actually tasted like my mom's! The taste and the consistency and texture was like Mom's! I have also used this to make my carrot cake and it tastes just like it used to (before I found out I had a gluten allergy).
2)  Whole Foods brand (365 brand) Chocolate Cake Mix is amazing! Be sure to look at the ingredients you need before leaving the store (as they are not your typical cake mix ingredients).  My only recommendation here is to be sure to not overmix.  Betty Crocker now has a GF cake mix (chocolate and vanilla), but I haven't tried it yet.
3)  Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (and Brownie Mix) - amazing and accurate!
4)  Don't trust regular corn meal mix.  I use the Hodgson Mill Corn Meal (says Gluten Free), and love it! Once I discovered this, my fried shrimp/fish/chicken tasted "real", and I was finally able to have "real" tasting corn bread!
5)  Annie's brand of boxed Macaroni and Cheese - I actually enjoyed this! I doctored it up a little with cream and butter, but it was great.

I'll add more on another day ;)
Enjoy your weekend,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.