Tuesday, November 17, 2009

a different perspective

There is an AA saying/prayer that I think is beneficial to anyone and everyone, regardless of circumstance.  It's a saying I have heard a thousand times before (both from having a family member in AA when I was a child AND through my profession when I worked in substance abuse).  However, today, I thought of it in a manner that I never have before, and my eyes were opened to something I never saw before.  Here is the saying/prayer that I am sure you have most likely heard at one time or another:

God, grant me the
Serenity to accept things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can, and
Wisdom to know the difference.

I never really paid much attention to the word "serenity" in this.  I always heard it/processed sort of like this:

God, grant me the serenity to
ACCEPT the things I CANNOT CHANGE
COURAGE to CHANGE the THINGS I CAN, and
WISDOM to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

That beautiful, hopeful, peaceful word never stood out to me until now.  I always focused more on the other points, mainly, wisdom to know the difference between what can be changed and what cannot.

But there it is ... there it has always been.  The potential for SERENITY in these difficult moments in our lives where we have to accept difficult things.  It seems almost odd to pick such a word for this, but what a huge sigh of relief.  And what a great reminder that we can choose how much power and hold we give to these things that can consume us. 

I just wanted to share that,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.