Thursday, August 20, 2009

"This blog's for you" (to the moms)

















Hey ladies, "this blog's for you!"
We mommies often overlook the need to take time for our own selves. Many times it feels as though we either don't have 'that kinda time' or by the time we do have it, we are too exhausted and just fall right to sleep.

Speaking right now as both a therapist and a mom, I say it's nothing to overlook. How are we to be the best we can be for our children, family, friends, commitments if we never take time to replenish our supply? When we get so overwhelmed and overworked, we start to, inevitably, feel less and less like ourselves. Not only is this not a good place to be for your own sake, it's not a good place to be for the sake of those who depend on you. Even if it's just 5-10 minutes before you go to bed (or some other time during the day), mentally prepare for that to be your time. I think that part is just as important as the time itself. Does that make sense?

Fortunately, I am a night owl, and so any 'me time' generally falls during those late night hours when everyone is in bed. Now, sometimes I am cleaning during that time, but other times I am taking 'me time'. My 'me time' generally includes book reading, song writing/playing, taking a bath ... all of these usually include lit candles and soft music. Those 5-10 minutes go a long way for me. If you are a morning person, utilize that time.

I took part in something last night that I absolutely loved, and definitely served as 'me time'. I went to a place called Bottles and Brushes with a friend of mine. Basically, you create a painting under the instruction of the original creator of that painting. These are local artists. You have the option of bringing your own food or drink (don't bring wine or beer b/c they serve that there). Also, they serve light beverages there as well.

I tell you, I have had no time for me in a while, and this was so relaxing and, may I say ... therapeutic. It was something that I wouldn't do weekly due to the expense, however, I do plan on returning. The price was $35 and, actually, wasn't bad considering you've got that 1:1 instruction, and you leave that night with your painting. They also supply everything you need. Also, something I appreciated is that you are able to add your own touches, and your artistic improv is appreciated by the artist. The picture above is of myself, the artist (in the middle), and my friend, Jenn whose father is a shrimp boat captain.

I have to put a little disclaimer here so that I don't have any fathers angry with me. This is certainly something the dad's may enjoy as well if they are artistic (may be fun even if they aren't!) My husband is artistic, and expressed an interest.

As I've said before, sometimes you have schedule time in for relaxation to be sure you make it a priority, and to be sure it gets done. Schedule in some 'me time' today. Therapist's orders.

Jessica

1 comment:

  1. I agree it is so important to grab those precious moment to yourself. My best metime recently was a gift box a friend bought me. It was full of fantastic soap goodies. To have a quiet soak all to myself was wonderful. She got it from a comany called Metime at www.metimegifts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.