Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"... all the colors I am inside ... "

COLORS
My skin is kind of sort of brownish,
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are greyish blueish green,
But I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it's silver when it's wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.
- Shel Silverstein

I got out my old treasured book, Where the Sidewalk Ends, again today. It always brings a smile, and I can't tell you how much my clients enjoy many of these poems. I've been reading this book since I was in elementary school, and it still catches my attention and my smiles. I remember finding this book in my elementary school library and falling in love with it as a little girl. I also remember getting in trouble with the library for failure to turn the book in in a timely manner. Don't worry, the book I have now was bought honestly ... not stolen from my elementary school library!

I've just come across another poem in the book that prompted a new activity idea. The poem is called Spaghetti. I have a couple clients in mind (in particular) for this activity, and look forward to implementing it. This activity will have the potential to provide work in these goal areas:

- Increasing visual attention (pictures in a cognitive task)
- Increasing/facilitating eye contact
- Increasing cognitive attention/skill
(pre-reading/reading skill & matching words to pictures)
- Increase/facilitate auditory attention and follow auditory cues
- Identification of emotions/appropriate affect
- Increase fine motor skill

I am planning on posting the activity (as it's one that can fairly easily be implemented outside of therapy) in my August 2009 newsletter. I'm a bit behind on posting this month's newsletter (to my website) due to this month's schedule, but still plan on posting one. I will let you know when I do. I think you will enjoy the Spaghetti activity!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.