Thursday, July 23, 2009

Social Skills Activities for Special Children


Hello and Happy Thursday! There is a book that I have thumbed through various times before, and it has remained on my 'wish list' of work related items. I have been a fan of this book, and have had the opportunity to implement some of the activities in the past, however, I am so glad to have my own copy of the entire book! The book, which I ordered through my local bookstore, is called Social Skills Activities for Special Children (Second Edition) by Darlene Mannix. The author has taught both general and special education, and has written several best-selling books for special educators.

Upon first thumbing through the book, I began to wonder if the activities were really only for the classroom, however, I quickly thought otherwise. This book is brimming with a great variety of very applicable activities and focuses that apply to various environments (not just for school use). Although I am a therapist and not a teacher, I am so glad for the sections of the book which are more specific to classroom/school related subjects and environments. The reason being is that I often times work with my clients (when applicable to the client) on peer and school related behaviors, schedules, and other endeavors. This provides me with great material for these activities.

Nearly every activity included in this book also has a worksheet that goes along with it. I loved this! The main activity focus topics include Understanding the Teacher's Role, Classroom Rules and Responsibilities, When You Have Problems, Learning and Working with Others, Making Friends, Keeping Friends, Understanding Social Situations, Positive Personality Attributes, Getting Along with Others at Home, Everyday Etiquette, and Relating Appropriately to Other School People. Each of these topics has a long list of wonderful activities to go along with it.

Many of the activity worksheets include visuals such as pictures of scenarios and/or word bubbles, and are somewhat like reading a comic. I am anxious to Hmmm ... did I mention that already? :)

I encourage you to click on the link above so that you may take a look inside the book at some sample activities as well as the activity lists in the table of contents. I will say, though, that the sample activity worksheets that you do get to see (on that site) do not give you a very good idea/representation of the visuals included in many of the activities. Just know that they are there.

Have a great day!
Jessica

NOTE: Jessica Grooms is in no way responsible or involved in your ordering process of any materials recommended or listed here. Ordering materials is done independently by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.