Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Grant Opportunities


Good late morning to you all. I apologize for my blogging absense Monday and Tuesday. I have been a bit under the weather. Feeling a bit better today, though, so no worries.

Anyhow, I wanted to mention third party reimbursement today. Families who have a child who has special needs, medical needs, and/or requires treatment/therapy often times find the need to pursue funding for some of the child's services, treatment, and/or special equipment.

I want to make sure that you all realize that there are funding opportunities out there. I encourage you to look into your local charities and boards. Realize, also, though that there are other opportunities outside of these that we don't always think about. Look around your area to see what major companies and/or corporations you have in your community. These companies/corporations often times allot a certain amount of money to be donated to causes and charities. Many times they look to local causes, charities, persons. Also, look online at listings of grant opportunities of major companies (that aren't necessarily local) such as well known food manufacturers, home products, and such (brand names you'd see in your grocery store). Go to the brand website, and look into grant opportunities there. Also, you may want to contact them in order to inquire about the grant specifications and guidelines.

Once you pinpoint a possible funding provider, obtain from them a grant application as well as a list of other items they may require for a grant request. For example, some require information from your 1040, a letter from your child's doctor/pediatrician, an invoice for services (your therapist will provide you with this), explanation of benefits that treatment offers (your therapist/treatment provider can provide this) and/or other pieces of information.

Most treatment providers/therapists are glad to assist in the grant application process. Also, your pediatrician is often glad to provide a letter as long as he/she is knowledgeable about the treatment/therapy/item for which you are requesting funding. Be sure your doctor/pediatrician has any information he/she may need to be informed.

The state of our economy this year has put even more of a strain on individuals seeking funding as well as the charities, companies, and boards that are trying to provide funding. This has prompted me to sit down and search out 'other' possible funding opportunities for my clients. I now have a list of possible grant opportunities. My next step is to compile a brief letter and bit of information on Music Therapy as well as some information links (for companies to find more information on Music Therapy). I plan on sending this information out in order to 1) educate persons within these companies on Music Therapy, and 2) to find out whether or not this would fit within the boundaries of their grant specifications. Once I receive word back, I will recommend those to my clients in which case a client will then pursue this grant individually. Of course, I am always there to help the process along.

It sounds like such a process, I know. And it is. However, the real effort is in the beginning. Once your grant application is approved, it is fairly effortless from then on, and well worth it!

I hope this helps. To all my clients, as always, please never hesitate to ask me for information and assistance on this.

Have a lovely day,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.