Monday, June 29, 2009

Autism focus


Hello all.

I am back from my "Sister's Get-a-way Trip", and am feeling ready for the week ahead. Thank you, again, to my sweet sisters.

This blog today is focused on AUTISM. I wanted to mention a couple of resources here for you today. First off, (and I have mentioned this before in past MT newsletter) I listen to a daily podcast on http://www.faqautism.com/. I have subscribed to it, and have a link for it on my Google homepage so it's very convenient. Cathy Knoll posts these very informative and very pertinent podcasts that have not only served as a resource for me, but also for the parent's of some of my clients. The podcasts are short and sweet which is also very convenient.

I also wanted to bring to your attention (for those of you who are net yet familiar with this tool) the use of Social Stories™. If you are not familiar with Social Stories™, here is a brief description.

"A Social Story™ describes a situation, skill, or concept in terms of relevant social cues, perspectives, and common responses in a specifically defined style and format. The goal of a Social Story™ is to share accurate social information in a patient and reassuring manner that is easily understood by its audience. Half of all Social Stories™ developed should affirm something that an individual does well. Although the goal of a Story™ should never be to change the individual’s behavior, that individual’s improved understanding of events and expectations may lead to more effective responses." (http://www.thegraycenter.org/ , Carol Gray)

Although Social Stories™ were initially developed for children with ASD, they are certainly very useful for persons outside of an ASD diagnoses. This may include persons with similar needs (those with social and/or communication delays) as well as typically developing persons.

Here is an example of a Social Story:


BRUSHING MY TEETH
At night I need to brush my teeth so they are clean.
I put the toothbrush in my mouth.
First I brush in the back on the bottom.
Next I brush in the back on the top.
Then I brush in the front on the bottom.
Last I brush in the front on the top.
When I am done brushing my teeth I can spit out the toothpaste.
I can rinse off my tooth brush after I spit.
When I am ALL DONE I can have something special.


Visit the link above to view/order the various Social Stories™ tools and resources, including Social Stories™ book, Social Stories™ 10.0 (PDF download), Storymovie Professional Vol. 1 (DVD), etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.