Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gluten Free recipes for JULY 4

For all my fellow gluten avoidant/gluten intolerant buddies, I wanted to share this ...

I was browsing for some gluten free recipes for July 4th, and I stumbled upon this article by Examiner.com/Columbia.  Click on the link below to go to the actual page (which includes the recipes). 

Top ten gluten free July 4th summer recipes


1.  Sweet and Sassy Red Potato Salad – Bored with your old potato salad? Think again and try this zesty twist on a traditional favorite!


2.  Apple Mint Salad – a crisp, different, and delicious take on a fruit salad for your summer party!

3.  Simple Strata Salad – a southern favorite, the layered salad with lots of meat, veggies, and cheese. Great for a side dish or lite dinner!

4.  Summer Squash Scramble - What can you do with all that leftover yellow squash or zucchini? This recipe is the answer for you!

5.  Homemade Caesar Salad – If you’ve ever wondered how to make a REAL Caesar salad this is your guide. Perfect to go with your grilled hamburgers and hotdogs!

6.  Fresh Strawberry Pie – Always a favorite, but with a perfect gluten free crust it makes the best dessert on the table for your July 4th celebrations!

7.  Secret Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – Your kids won’t eat vegetables? They will now! They will never know the secret ingredients of these delicious kid-friendly treats!

8.  Easy Skillet Cornbread – The easiest and most delicious gluten free cornbread you will ever make! Perfect to go with your baked beans and corn on the cob this July 4th!

9.  Southern Fried Summer Squash – The classic southern fried squash you love. If you haven’t tried this already with your Farmer’s Market finds, you need to now!

10.  The BEST chocolate chip cookies – Your friends and family will NEVER know these truly amazing cookies are gluten free. Enjoy these classic cookies on your dessert table this July 4th!
 
So ... I have not yet tried any of these recipes so you and I are in the same boat ... sitting here with our mouths watering as we read over this list wondering if they are as good as they sound.  The southern fried summer squash, strawberry pie, and skillet cornbread are all on my list of things to make this July 4 weekend, though.  Yes, mom, add it to the list of yummies we'll be enjoying on our trip ;)

I'm stoked about the cornbread, in particular, because I have tried several attempts at 'the perfect cornbread' since I've been gluten free ... am still tryin! My only concern, though, is that I will be baking this up in the mountains this weekend which I know can affect rising ... correct? Any suggestions?

As an added note ... I sometimes make fried zucchini/squash as an appetizer in the summer time when I have family/friends over.  When I do, I make a HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE to go with it that's pretty yummy.  I don't have a recipe as I just sort of throw things together, but typically, it includes:
  • fresh horseradish (not prepared sauce as I find those to be a little too sweet for my taste - also I can be sure this way that it's GF)
  • mayo (again, I don't prefer the sweet stuff generally so I often go with Kraft)
  • a little garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a squirt or two of lemon
  • and a little dill weed. 
 
I'm hungry now. 
 
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.