Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Model Me Kids" - a great Social Skills resource

I was on Autism Hangout (http://www.autismhangout.com/ ) the other day, and saw mention of a wonderful social skills resource called "Model Me Kids" (click on link to go to site).  Model Me Kids teaches social skills concepts through DVDs/videos, which provides visual cues through modeling specific social skill and related behaviors. 

Many of these include accompanying storyboards as well.  Also, I was pleased to see that the videos are modeled in real life scenarios AND they are very concrete, providing very clear step by step examples. 

I would love to add Model Me Kids to my own collection of resources as I know they would be extremely beneficial in and out of therapy!

As mentioned, I was really excited about this resource, however, I did want to see a sample before making a decision to purchase.  The website provides several samples, and after viewing these, I was even more impressed.  For video samples of some of the DVDs offered, visit this link : http://modelmekids.com/autism-video-samples.html

Another great feature is that these are also categorized according to age appropriateness (and age range of person using the resource).

This one is going on my wish list! I'd love feedback of anyone who has used this resource.

Jessica 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I might be a little biased, but I love Model Me Kids! I actually wrote and recorded the songs that narrate the two latest videos, "Model Me Faces & Emotions" and "Model Me Going Places". I think they are fantastic resources for children. My students love and really benefit from the videos. Just thought I'd add my two cents :)

    Rachel Rambach, MM, MT-BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel. It's funny, actually, because as I was 'sampling' the videos online recently, I heard the music for one and couldn't shake the feeling that I recognized that voice :) As I listened a little more I thought, "That's Rachel!" I was enjoying the resource so much, and was even more excited about it once I realized they implemented music on some. How great that they brought your skills in as a Music Therapist.

    Can't wait to get add some of these to my collection of resources!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.