Thursday, September 10, 2009

Recording Thoughts

When I was a little girl, the only thing appealing to me about writing in a diary was the lock and key on the diary. It seemed more of a chore to me, really. However, by the time I was in high school I adored writing in/on my journals, hands, and/or scrap pieces of paper. This has followed me on into adulthood. Well, except the only times that I ever write on my hands anymore is to occasionally draw on a tattoo (always the same thing ... " steadfast <3 "). Something I've been 'warming up to' since ... well ... forever ;)

Anyhow, the art of writing is an amazing thing. It allows us to record our thoughts, emotions, opinions, life lessons, amusements, dreams, and questions. I, personally, have many journals dedicated to various things (one that I use to record memories/special moments with my son, one for jotting down lyrics/songs I've written, one to write down quotes/bible verses/poems, and so on). As with music, writing can often times allow us to express things we typically aren't able to with the spoken word. I often find that I can write my feelings, thoughts, etc. much better than I am able to verbalize them. Sometimes there are things we would like to express, things we need to say to someone, but (for whatever reason) can't. Writing these things down often offers some relief to the situation.

Yesterday I started a page in one of my journals entitled, "These things and what I have learned from them". So often I've been taught something through things (often things in nature), and the result is a deeper understanding and wisdom of life itself. Often times these can be a metaphor or provide a parallel to other things in life. Yesterday, as I was walking to my front door I passed my tea olive tree in bloom. It always strikes me how few flowers this tree has (and how tiny the flowers), and how much fragrance that tree releases. I just love it!

This was my journal entry on the lesson a tree taught me (a tree!?!):

tea olive tree - with it's tiny flowers that are so surprisingly fragrant ... sometimes we overlook the potency of the little things.


So today my hope for you is that you not overlook what the little things have to offer.

Also, I am thankful for writing. I'm thankful for the opportunity to record life lessons that I so often need to learn (or at least be reminded of) more than once in a lifetime.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.