Monday, February 1, 2010

Oh Monday ...


WHAT IF MONDAYS COULD GO FROM
<<  THIS .................................... TO THIS >>



Most people feel like this about Mondays ...

Monday Morning

I wake up
and it starts again.
I get up
then I fall back in.
I'm just
not ready for another a week this Monday morning!
I get ready
for a boring day.
I head out
to school on my way.
I just
want it to be over soon this Monday morning!
It's first period
and it's draggin on.
I can't wait
for the bell to ring, I'm gone.
I just
hope there isn't too much of this Monday morning!


The bell rings
fifth period has begun.
I can't believe
the morning's still not done.
I just
need afternoon to drive away this Monday morning!


I get home
finally I'm back.
But there's homework
my, it's such a stack.
I just
wish this day hadn't started off with Monday morning!
-Jane Meyer

I have found something that works to ease the jolt of the things that I dread facing but have to.  It's all about associations, really.  I've blogged on this idea before, but thought that "Monday" would be a great thing to apply it to.  After all, no one can get out of a Monday, and it happens every time every week.

Come up with something that you relish, and a build a Monday ritual around it.  The key is to only allow yourself to do that thing on Monday.  Obviously, it has to be something that you can fit into a Monday easily, and will be able to include EVERY Monday.  "Going to the park" may be something you are able to do this Monday, but may not be something that you know that you'll be able to do every Monday (or it may be depending on your particular location and schedule).  "Grabbing a donut and certain drink (that you only allow yourself on Mondays) on the way to work" may be a good one.  Or, eating at a certain restaurant on Monday for LUNCH may be another good one.  For those of use by the beach, establishing a tradition or grabbing a cup of coffee/treat, and sitting in our car looking out at the ocean for a few minutes b/f work may be a great new tradition (that would go far for me, personally!)

There are many, many possibilities, but make sure it's something that you can really really get excited about.  It has to be catered to you.  If you are trying to come up with this for your child, either think of something that they will look forward to (catered around them) or just simply ask them and let them come up with it. 

NOTE:  Do not put your new Monday tradition in the evening time because by that time, the worst part of Monday is practically over, and you are already close to relaxation and looking forward to Monday's close.  Put this tradition "within reach" during the day (morning or noontime, I would say).  You will then hopefully spend the first part of your day (the typical "hard-to-get-of-bed dread") by looking forward to your Monday tradition, and you will spend the rest of the day feeling refreshed from your Monday moment.  Hey, you may find that you want to include 2 special Monday traditions (one for the morning and one for the afternoon) ... I guess that depends on your degree of typical Monday loathing! ;)

I would love to know your new Monday traditions! They may be ones others would like to adopt as well :)

May the dread of your Monday be softened by the relish of at least one good Monday moment,
Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your own thoughts, experiences, and/or wisdom here by leaving a comment. Comments are reviewed and approved before posted.